Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tuesday Tournaments and July Results

I managed to get time to play two tournaments on Tuesday afternoon (since I don't typically play more than two tables at a time). I ran pretty bad pre flop and as a result was playing hyper-tight in each. Through the first hundred hands in each I think I was 7/3 and 8/5, respectively. The 7/3 is an anomoly of completing the SB with marginal hands on occasion, I was running bad enough to be playing 3/3 if people at this level would open instead of limping all time.

In the end though, I made a mistake in the $5.5 tourney that cost me my stack. And in the $4.4 at 150/300/25 I shoved over a limper with A9o and 11 BB's (after losing a flip against a shorty) and he called with QJo and flopped a jack. The end result of the Tuesday escapades was -$10.

I'm getting a bit tired of this year. After having 5 winning months last year, with June and July a combined +1200, this year has been a disappointment so far. Only two profitable months, and only then with ~50 ROIs each. I simply don't get enough volume in to have consistent results. Not to mention the fact that I've been making tons of mistakes lately due to not thinking most of the time. I'm starting to work on that of late. Hopefully my results begin to see a marked improvement because of it.

July this year was pretty bad. I played 29 tournaments for a total buyin of $166. With prizes of only 96, it was a -$70 month for tournaments. I also played 481 hands of $10 NL cash games (blinds of $0.05/$0.10) and was down 4 buyins. -43 PTBB/100. Brutal. Oh well, I made some mistakes and ran below expectation, and since 481 hands is nowhere close to an adequate sample size, I can't really draw any conclusions from it.

My goals for August: Play 30+ tournaments and 1K+ hands of $10 NL, and stay focused while doing both. As long as I'm playing well, the results will eventually come, but playing well hasn't been a hobby of mine lately. Here's to hoping.

No comments: