Monday, June 22, 2009

Bad Session

I really need to work on folding. I really suck at it right now and it's costing me a ton of money in the long run. In this session it really felt like I was running bad, but I was compounding it by paying people off where I shouldn't.


Exhibit A:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($10.05)
Button ($11.35)
Hero (SB) ($10)
BB ($2)
UTG ($6.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q
2 folds, Button bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1, 1 fold, Button calls $0.70


Flop: ($2.10) 6, 9, 7 (2 players)

Hero bets $1.40, Button calls $1.40

Turn: ($4.90) 10 (2 players)

Hero bets $3.30, Button raises to $8.95 (All-In), Hero calls $4.30 (All-In)

River: ($20.10) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $20.10 | Rake: $0.95
Results:
Button had 8, A (straight, ten high).
Hero had Q, Q (one pair, Queens).
Outcome: Button won $19.15


I think this needs to be a check fold on the turn. Yeah it feels weak, but one of the conceivable draws gets there. My thinking at the time was there is a decently low chance he calls a 3-bet with an 8 unless he has exactly 88, so I was betting to protect against the flush draw.

Maybe the bet is pretty close, but when he raised, I knew he had the 8. He should essentially never have a bluff here since it's pretty obvious I like my hand and have committed myself to the pot. But I couldn't refuse the 4:1 odds for some reason... I need to work on this, because there is no way I have 20% equity in the hand, which is needed in order to call here. Against any 8 or set, his most likely holdings given the action, I have less than 3% equity (combined). This needs to be a fold after his raise for sure, if not a check/fold.


Exhibit B:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($23.25)
SB ($9.50)
Hero (BB) ($10.10)
UTG ($9.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, Q
2 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.20) 4, 5, Q (2 players)
SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.60) 9 (2 players)
SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.90, SB calls $0.70

River: ($2.40) J (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, SB raises to $2.40, Hero calls $1.20

Total pot: $7.20 | Rake: $0.35

Results:
SB had J, 4 (two pair, Jacks and fours).
Hero mucked K, Q (one pair, Queens).
Outcome: SB won $6.85

I'm not sure how I feel about the action before the river... I should probably raise pre to $.40. By probably I mean should, I was just gunshy by this point of the session. Anyway, on the flop, I flat his bet because I don't want to raise/get it in against a combo draw on the flop. I know that's not necessarily what he has, but I've recently been too worried about flop spots against or with combo draws, specifically that the draw maximizes their equity in the hand by getting all the money in on the flop. Know this, I've been trying to punish draws that miss on the turn by keeping the pot manageable on the flop and then betting 3/4+ pot on the turn.

However, in retrospect I don't think this strategy is warranted on this flop. First, he is probably going to just flat a combo draw to any raise. Even if he 3bets, he won't be getting enough in the pot for me to justify not raising this flop. Anyway, the draw misses and I raise turn when he shows some weakness by betting the same amount. He calls, and this makes me think that he is in fact on a draw. River is a blank, so I value bet after being checked to. Here is where I make my mistake, after he CR's, I know he has one pair beat. People at $10 NL DO NOT check raise river without beating top pair, ever. Maybe some of the best players do, but this was certainly not one of those players. I gave him a range of stuff that hit the river, mostly two-pair type hands, but perhaps KT, 99, 55, or 44 also get here in this fashion if he is quite bad. It is inexcusable that I pay off this river CR, even with the odds I'm getting. I don't think he's doing this with less than KQ more than 5% of the time (it's significantly closer to 0, and may in fact be zero, but I must account somewhat for spaz factor). I need him to be doing it closer to 18% of the time.

All in all, the session had me tilted less than 100 hands in, and I stopped after just 1/2 hour and 156 hands down $22.2. Solid. I was running pretty damn bad, (I won 5 total hands through this time), but by playing how I know I should I can shave that number in half. Good players not only need to maximize their wins, but minimize their losses. The latter is something I dreadfully need help with. Luckily, it's something I know how to fix.

No comments: